Thursday, January 30, 2003

 
Thursday

Physical State: warm, sore neck (is it possible to sleep while standing on your head I must have)
Mental State: cloudy
Music: Guitar - Sunkissed
Fashion sense: polar fleece, hair in need of a cut

I got a call from Matt over at Soundscapes and he told me that I won a $25 gift certificate for their best of the year compilation contest. Here's what appeared on the cd (for those people who want to know).

Steven's Best of 2002

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Miles Away
The Gossip - Ain't It The Truth
Liars - Mr Your On Fire Mr
Mclusky - Collagen Rock
Cato Salsa Experience - Albert Bones Electric Meal
Interpol - Say Hello To Angels
Sleater-Kinney - Combat Rock
Comet Gain - The Kids At The Club
Young And Sexy - The City You Live In Is Ugly
P:ano - All of November, Most of October
Low - In the Drugs
Tom Waits - Everything Goes To Hell
Neko Case - Runnin' Out Of Fools
Picastro - Winter Notes
Boards Of Canada - Music Is Math
Do Make Say Think - Soul And Onward
Enon - Disposable Parts
The Notwist - Pilot
Ladytron - Flicking Your Switch
Múm - Green Grass Of Tunnel

I didn't win the big prize of $75 but it's ok, any bit helps. I think I'll be picking up the new Cat Power album with that certificate. I'm kind of disappointed in Matador Records. I've been running the mailing list after Babak left for a few years now and I have made it known to Matador on several occasions. Yet they never write me back when I ask for publicity information about Chan (nor send me promo copies of her new cd!). I guess if you're not a radio station (we don't even want to talk about what's not happening with Invisible Radio anymore) you can't get promos. But hey I'm the biggest (ok one of) Cat Power fans, you think they'd send me one. Whatever. Joanne sent me a few cds (one of her favourite songs, a Loveless mix) but also this album by Guitar called Sunkissed. I think it is quite good and definitely in the Morr Music vein. I wish it were longer though. It's got an interesting mix of MBV/Slowdive guitar done with loops and samples and the girl who sings reminds me at times of Kahimi Karie or a female Cornelius. It also reminds me a lot of Bowery Electric in their good days but far more sunny and light (hence the title Sunkissed no doubt) and less repetitive. I think this chair is definitely not working out here. Maybe that's why my neck is sore today after sitting here for almost 7 hours yesterday to get this brochure done. I think it came together pretty quickly but we'll see if the client likes it.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?