Thursday, March 13, 2003

 


Physical State: lumbering
Mental State: slushy
Music: Tarwater - Dwellers On the Threshold
Fashion sense: black sweater, blue jeans

This new found obsession with Six Feet Under got me thinking about all the great tv shows of my youth and one in particular that I look back on fondly is CHCH Hamilton's 70s program The Hilarious House of Frightenstein. Originally made super cheap this show was based around one man, Billy Van, who played a ton of characters. Any Canadian male whose in his 30s will understand these words "The castle lights are growing dim, there's no one left but me and him...". This show fits neatly into my pre-teen obsession with all things horror based (Fangoria magazine, John Carpenter's Halloween, Stephen King novels, Edward Gorey, Poe and that "haunted house" on Mill street, now I realize these people were not gardening conscious). There's something Tim Burtonish in my teen makeup, it's in the bones (no pun intended). It's weird the way that I look back now at the late 70s and think of it as the cheese horror decade (even though brilliant movies like Evil Dead came later). I found a website tribute to this show awhile ago while talking to a co-worker about it. Nice to see the guy is still doing this tribute site. Sadly Billy passed away very recently but the memories of his incredible show live on. It was like Canada's answer to Ghoulardi or Elvira (even though Frightenstein never showed any movies to go along with the show). Check out more about it. A classic piece of Canadian television greatness. Oooga booga!

I'd also like to announce that Tony Dekker is releasing his Great Lake Swimmers disc at the end of the month with a date, March 28 at Clinton's w/ Picastro and Andy Magoffin (of Two Minute Miracles). Here is some info about Great Lake Swimmers that you might be interested in. You heard it here first, this guy's going to be famous very soon (and I'm not saying that just because he's a friend of mine). Great Lake Swimmers at Weewerks.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?