Saturday, April 19, 2003

 

Leonor Watling in "Son de Mar"

Physical State: slow
Mental State: melancholic
Music: Piano Magic - Son De Mar
Fashion sense: black shirt, blue jeans

Aristotle's definition of Greek tragedy

A tragedy then, is the imitation {mimesis) of an action that is serious and also, as having magnitude, complete in itself; in language with pleasurable accessories, each kind brought in separately in the parts of the work; in a dramatic, not in a narrative form; with incidents arousing pity and fear, wherewith to accomplish its catharsis of such emotions.

There remains, then, the intermediate kind of personage, a man not pre-eminently virtuous and just, whose misfortune however, is brought upon him not by depravity and vice but by some error of judgement, (hamartia) of the number of those in the enjoyment of great reputation and prosperity; eg Oedipus, Thyestes, and man of note of similar families. The perfect plot, accordingly, must have a single issue; the change in the hero's fortunes must be from happiness to misery; and the cause of it must lie not in any depravity, but in some great error on his part; the man himself being either such as we have desribed, or better, not worse than that. The anagnorisis or "moment of recognition" when the truth is at last revealed being the true emotional crux or climax of the play -- either succeeding or preceding the most dramatic events (the katastasis).
_________

Just finished watching my taping of last night's Showcase movie "Son de Mar". While this movie is kind of weak it has some beautiful photography. The sad story centres around Martina (the beautiful Leonor Watling from "Talk To Her") and Ulises and like the other Ulysses this tale has some greek tragedy to it. It's a bit of a sad fairy tale story for adults. Why is it that little European dramas like this always make me depressed (same thing happened with Lovers of the Artic Circle...hmm both Spanish films, interesting). It's a beautiful day outside and I'm sitting here writing in this blog thinking about how broke I am and saddened by movies. Pretty pathetic. Guess I should snap out of it. I decided to listen to the soundtrack that I have by Piano Magic (which plays a very small part in the film I might add). So sad sounding too. I guess the other reason I'm kind of down is that because this is the first holiday that my Dad isn't around for (Easter was always a family holiday with a dinner and everything). This year I have a hollow and empty feeling (they say that all holidays the first time around are hard). I heard Sigur Ros' Untitled #1 and it made me very low too. Sorry but hey this is real life, blogs aren't all sweetness and light, but I will be ok.

Oh it sounds like my stupid neighbours are back so maybe that'll give me a reason to get out today.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?