Thursday, April 10, 2003

 


Physical State: lumbering
Mental State: taffyesque
Music: Joni Mitchell - Blue (taken out from the library all the time)
Fashion sense: green t-shirt, grey sweats

Ok I know what you're going to say. "Joni Mitchell?" Yes Joni Mitchell, dammit! This 1971 album is one of her best and she was very much the "indie" artist of her time, just listen to some of the lyrics on this album and you'll understand. You have to remember that in this post-post punk world, some of her stuff might come off as light and airy but at that time I'm sure she was groundbreaking (I dunno I was 2 at the time). Some of her musicianship and performance on this album is just incredible. In much the same way I see Cohen as an indie artist so I see Joni. It's really easy to hear how she influenced (or was copped by in some cases) a generation of folk-tinged artists after her (Cat Power, Christine Fellows, Julie Doiron, Tracy Thorn, Tracy Chapman, Tori Amos and Beth Orton). I would love to hear Julie Doiron do a cover of "Blue" or hear Cat Power do a cover of "River". I remember reading about a project that was going to have some great indie female artists do covers of this entire album but I don't think it ever came into being not sure.

Speaking of Cat Power, I managed to get a ticket to the Opera House show on Sunday afterall. I think I'm going to buy tickets from the Horseshoe all the time for events because the price is right man.


File this under: It can't happen only in the US, eh?



Dorian Baxter preaching the
gospel of the other King


Another interesting twist of American culture meets religion is the phenomenon of Newmarket, Ontario anglican priest and Elvis impersonator Dorian Baxter who goes by the name Elvis Priestley. He has been controversially shunned by the Anglican Bishops of Ontario and has set up his own "church", the Graceland Independent Anglican Church of Canada. He made an appearance on Breakfast Television on City TV today and I'd forgotten how cool this guy was (albeit kind of wacko). He performed a wedding for my sister's friend Jenny awhile ago and that was quite a bizarre one. He performed the service then donned sunglasses, removed the collar and pulled out a scarf to preach the gospel of "Don't Be Cruel". He has become one of those characters who you just have to admire for the sheer guts to do their thing. Viva Las Vegas, my son. Click here for an article about him that appeared in USA Today a few months ago.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?