Tuesday, May 06, 2003

 

Birmingham retrofuturists Broadcast
coming to the T. Dot


Physical State: worn
Mental State: beige
Music: Mellow Indie and Noise
Fashion sense: green t-shirt, blue jeans

Broadcast were to be releasing their new ep called Pendulum today but it appears that it might be a week late. Here's a review from Heather Phares from allmusic which sounds really encouraging. They are also touring (appearing here next week with Montag). Can't wait.

Broadcast - Pendulum

Their first new work in three years, Broadcast's Pendulum EP opts for a looser, noisier and more abstract sound than anything they issued during The Noise Made By People era. Much like the Extended Play EPs that preceded that album, Pendulum finds the band pushing their music to extremes, but this time the results are much more polarized. With its rock drums, harsh synth tones, pulsing bass and angular melody, "Pendulum" almost sounds like it could be a collaboration with Clinic; the song shares the same eerie magnetism and grotto-like ambience of that band's best work. While Trish Keenan's vocals sound better when she has room to swoon, enough unearthly prettiness remains to keep the track within the realm of Broadcast's universe (though, admittedly, near its outer limits). Similarly, "One Hour Empire," "Violent Playground" and "Minus Two" feature some of the noisiest beats and most arrhythmic, atonal keyboards the group have ever used. On the flip side, this less-structured approach also applies to soft, pretty moments like "Small Song IV," which sends clouds of fuzzy synths drifting across Keenan's languid singing; "Still Feels Like Tears" is both direct and ethereal, with a surprisingly straightforward rhythm section and a lovely, weightless melody. On this EP — and, presumably, the album it precedes — Broadcast ruffle and muss the pristine gorgeousness of their music; even though these songs are no less meticulously crafted than their previous work, Pendulum's built-in asymmetry and imperfections make it that much more intriguing. — Heather Phares

Not much going down today. Still recovering from the many hours of driving and my weekend spent in Ottawa. I'd like to thank brother Vegas for putting me up (or is it putting up with me). Here's some of the fun things that we managed to get up to over the weekend: drinking, watching Bottle Rocket, going to the National Gallery, talking about art, playing some songs, getting $40 parking tickets for being 6 inches over the no parking line, celebrating Johnny's birthday.

Today I talked to Joanne about how it would be cool to live in Brooklyn. Maybe if I was 24 instead of 34 it might be more possible. I've had a bit of a 10 year renaissance going on in a small amount. I've been doing design for 10 years now and I'm thinking about whether I want to do it for the rest of my life. Sometimes I think I should have stayed painting and lived the starving artist life (I'm doing that but not creating any really creative fine art though). somedays it's yeah I could live in London or New York, live the artist life...come on 649 ticket...then a bill comes in that's overdue...whatever. I guess you make your own destiny huh? I would like to start painting again. All these impromptu art lessons I was giving to John made me think about how much I don't even think about painting let alone do any anymore. This seems like a mistake.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?