Wednesday, June 04, 2003

 
Physical State: achey
Mental State: catty
Music: Radio Loveless
Fashion sense: grey t-shirt, grey sweats
Book: Observatory Mansions - Edward Carey

Just reading that the FCC approved lax ownership laws on media conglomerate control recently. More of the same shite on your media conglomerate owned FM station than ever before. I stopped listening to regular radio many years ago. Now its all internet stations, college radio and the CBC (which so far are still pretty open-minded). Do your part, don't support Clear Channel with your ears or your dollars. If everyone says "yes I don't want to hear the "hits" anymore, f**ker" then maybe we can change radio back to what was once a great idea. I know, a pipe dream. Support your local mom and pop indie record store and local bars and bands too. Boycott big ticket shows (eventually Radiohead will play some bars for 5 nights in one town and get my respect for it).

Think, ask questions, and be wary of big money and how your culture is sold to you. "The enemy of progress is questions". Who said that? You call hearing the same lame marketing-suit-driven-over-produced pop song at the same time everyday, progress? Stop this ride I wanna get off. It's just a matter of time before the crap all comes down and people get fed up with it all. It's all about markets son, it's not about art. Why not?

Ok I run the risk of looking like a hypocrite most of the time. At least if I try in some small way to change things for myself that will be enough. You see my dilemma is this. I talk about how I hate media conglomeration but I enjoy getting paychecks from Bell Globemedia for my design work (to be honest I've been doing promotion for the Simpsons which I think has very redeeming qualities). I drink Starbucks coffee, wear Nike shoes sometimes and bought the new Yeah Yeah Yeahs cd (on Universal). So who the hell am I to say anything. True dat. Well at least I'm trying to make decisions and think about it all, to question now and then. Just think if everyone did a little bit of that and didn't buy Kelly Clarkson albums because the Joneses did how much better off this world would be. I aint no saint, it's true. I'm sure even Naomi Klein owns a Sony cd in her collection. At least it helps to consider.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?