Wednesday, August 27, 2003

 

Thom & Tilda, Flick Picks and
Careless Talk Saves Lives



Thom and Tilda, separated at birth?

Physical State: achey
Mental State: spinning
Music: Careless Talk Costs Lives on TotallyRadio
Fashion sense: white shirt, tan shorts

Just when you thought you could get a moment to chill a bunch of stuff comes in and everyone wants you to do work for the long weekend. Things are getting pretty hectic for not having that much going on. I am really looking forward to having a day or two where I'm not running around.

I made my choices for the Toronto International Film last night and it looks like its going to be an interesting year for films. The way it works is that if you have a book of ten tickets you get first and second choices (if something is sold out when you try to secure a ticket for the first choice then they go to your second choice). I always love this time of year, the fest starts out my fall every year and I just dig the whole season from then on. I watch the daily press conferences on Rogers and delight at some of the commentary from the filmmakers (last year's Tilda Swinton press conference/conversation was very impressive). Is it just me or should Tilda and Radiohead's Thom Yorke do a film about brother/sister twins who are in a band or something? Hmm I might be on to something there. Getting back to why I like Fall I guess its the better weather, nice to walk in the park as the air is more crisp, etc. I always feel more hopeful and postive when this season starts (maybe its a holdover from my school days when you'd have to gear up for back to school, I dunno).

Anyway here are some of my choices for the fest and some info links about each of them.

First choices

1. I Love Your Work (Adam Goldberg)
2. Time of the Wolf (Michael Haneke)
3. Noi Albino (Dagur Kari)
4. Stormy Weather (Solveig Anspach)
5. Bright Future (Kiyoshi Kurosawa)
6. Nicotina (Hugo Rodriguez)
7. L'Histoire de Marie et Julien (Jacques Rivette)
8. End of the Century - The Story of the Ramones (Jim Fields / Michael Gramaglia)
9. Wilbur Wants To Kill Himself (Lone Sherfig)
10. Zatoichi (Takeshi "Beat" Kitano)

Alternate choices

1. Tesseract (Oxide Pang Chun)
2. Forest (Benedek Fliegauf)
3. Young Adam (David MacKenzie)
4. Kitchen Stories (Bent Hamer)
5. Ramblers (Nobuhiro Yamashita)
6. Prey For Rock n Roll (Alex Steyermark)
7. Who Killed Bambi (Gilles Marchand)
8. I'll Sleep When I'm Dead (Mike Hodges)
9. PTU (Johnnie To)
10. Last Life In The Universe (Pen-ek Ratanaruang)

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?