Sunday, October 31, 2004

 

Farewell Mr. Peel



Physical State: achey
Mental State: leaden
Music: Stars of The Lid - The Tired Sounds of...
Fashion sense: black t-shirt, grey sweats

It goes without saying that a true era in music has ended with the recent passing of John Peel. I listened to John's BBC show on the internet as often as I could and I was never disappointed by anything I would ever hear on it. His show was like a pair of old shoes, scruffy at times but the fit was perfect. In a world where programmed crap radio and the marketing of schlock seems to be trend, Peely was a true original. He'd often play records at the wrong speed (one of his hilarious trademarks) but you know those songs sounded great at any speed. Its because Peel had that certain talent for isolating the song that actually had value (even if it was by that unknown little indie band from Luton). Many bands that he ushered into the world with his Peel Sessions have gone on to incredible respect from the music industry and fans alike. I know some Toronto musicians who have said that in meeting him they found he had a quiet charm with a smart sense of humour matched only by his encyclopedic knowledge of the last 50 years of music history. His comments on music were often hilarious, witty and informed. It is just an incredible loss for music when someone who played one of the largest parts in its history is now silent. On a personal level I think that his radio show shaped a lot of the choices I make in picking up cds (and playing them on my show).

I hope that the BBC will continue his show with guest djs who no doubt will have very large shoes to fill. In the afterlife if there is a soundtrack, Peel will be its programmer. I know that may sound hokey but this guy was the best DJ that radio and the world has ever known. A man of humility and respect for music which I think is sadly lacking these days. I'll miss you John.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?