Sunday, July 08, 2007

 
Yellowknife City Where The Grass Ain't Green But The Girls Are Pretty


Tony Dekker (Great Lake Swimmers)

Physical State: tired
Mental State: dozey
Music: Great Lake Swimmers - Ongiara
Fashion sense: green t-shirt, pajama pants

Ok yes it's been months since I wrote anything on this blog. A lot has happened as you may recall from April. I moved to Yellowknife, NWT to work at a radio station and I have been very busy (sometimes too busy) for the past month and a half. But the station gives me lots of opportunities to do things in radio that I might not be able to do in Toronto. Right now I do remotes and production in addition to my regular afternoon shift on the station. I am also being trained to work as a music director. So lots on the go. Yellowknife is a lot different from Toronto, like a small town big town. Also the sun rarely disappears up here, i walked home from a bar at 2 am and the light looked like about 6 pm back home. Weird.

We also have a huge music fest up here, Folk On The Rocks which I have been doing interviews for. In the past week I have talked to Dallas Good of The Sadies, Kytami a violinist and electronic artist from Vancouver, The Bebop Cowboys as well as my friend Tony Dekker (Great Lake Swimmers, seen above). That is a still from his new video done by Roncesvalles Village indie director Scott Cudmore. Great to see both Tony and Scott getting so much exposure. I can't wait to hang out for a beer with Tony up here at Folk On The Rocks.

The title of this post alludes to a great hip hop song by local rapper Godson (who I also interviewed for the station). He's got some great songs that we play on the station.

I've met a lot of cool people up here in a very short time and it feels like a big family up here. There are many talented and interesting people in this town. I have to start looking for a new place to live though which has got me a bit anxious. We shall see what happens.

Well that is it for my first attempt to keep this blog up in north of 60 here.

Comments:
Well don't leave before I can come visit! Summer 08?

Best,
Brent
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?