Sunday, December 06, 2009

 
The Pocketology Project
One of the many reasons why I love Toronto.


"What has it got in its pocketses,
my precious?!!
"

Physical State: COLD!
LinkMental State: happy
Music: Girls -
Album
Fashion sense: jeans, black long-sleeve shirt

I was meeting up with a friend for a Sunday afternoon beer at one of my old haunts in Parkdale, the sister to Mitzi's cafe, Mitz's Sister (which confusingly still has the sign out front facing west for the Tennessee Tavern). Next door to the Parkdale bar was a gallery/store that had an event going on this afternoon called "Pocketology." The art project played out like this. You go into the gallery space and are greeted by two "researchers" in lab coats, they sit you down and ask you to take an item out of your pocket and write a story about it. You write out this story and then you submit it to them in a coloured envelope of your choosing, from the table, which they then put up on a wall. In return you get to choose another envelope from the wall and get to keep someone else's story. My submitted story centred around my pack of Johnson & Johnson Stim-U-Dents in my pcoket (seen above) with some of these points below showing up in my story:

- I started carrying them over 10 years ago when quitting smoking
- they are good for gum health and recommended by dentists
- Bryan Ferry (ex-Roxy Music) said in an interview once that he was addicted to them
- I gave one to Canadian singer Sarah Harmer at a music fest in Yellowknife when I met her, and we compared notes about our love for them. Especially the mint-flavoured ones

These along with a few other points explained why I carry Stim-U-Dents in my pocket.

What a really cool idea. A chance to meet people in the community, to find out something unique about a stranger and also see what colours people love when they choose a random story envelope.

Here is the anonymous story that I chose from an "indigo blue" envelope:

Item in pocket: Mitzi's Sister receipt $53.20 (with $8 tip)

Message:

It was our first time eating at Mitzi's. We made the trek from the downtown core as I had read rave reviews on the kitsch atmosphere and delicious brunch. I always enjoy hanging out with my sister and girlfriends, my guests at breakfast. Good laughs, stories and overall a good start to a Sunday afternoon.

Pocketology is one of the many reasons I love Toronto. Such a cool idea and just another example of why this city is like nowhere else on earth. Be sure to check out the link below to find out more about this art project and their blog:

pocketstories.wordpress.com

Comments:
Drop much? As if Sarah Harmer would put that in her mouth.
 
If you mean name drop I guess I am kinda (although I've never met Bryan Ferry). Yes this Sarah story is true.
 
Where can I buy them? My teeth are terrible. They stink. Do they ever get stuck? Do they come in grape?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?